The Fall of Man RP

[p] nobody knows the trouble i've seen

Civilian

I have nothing to say.

Rostyn Hart Avatar

Rostyn Hart

Post by Rostyn Hart on Nov 20, 2020 23:11:42 GMT -5

April 16th, 1pm

Markay Strip was bustling with activity at this hour, even though lunch was barely an hour gone. Those working the strip did not close for lunch, and those shopping often purchased their food from a vendor. The clamor of the market was pleasant and alive. There had been a heavy rain the day before and today the sun was out, drying the streets and tempting animals out of their shelter to enjoy the sunshine while it lasted. Spring rains were always just around the corner so it was best to soak up the sunshine when possible.

Rostyn's fur warmed under the light of the sun. It felt good to be outside, though he could have done so just as easily at home. Today errands brought him to Markay Strip. He wore simple clothing that allowed for easy movement and didn't carry a sword today, as he often did when he was on business. His simple shirt was light gray with black trim and billowed about his form with the light breeze that brushed through the markets. His shorts were darker and fit with a simple, but well-made, leather belt. Strapped beneath both shorts and shirt was a dagger that only the most observant would pick out beneath the cloth.

His nose twitched as he picked up the smells of cooking meat in the distance and his stomach rumbled. He had forgone lunch so far, in favor of finding the item he was looking for. A part of him itched to drop down on all fours and bolt for the food, but he held himself together on two legs and continued his purposeful walk. If his parent's had shown up at that moment then he might have given in to desire and gone full animal on them, all to, of course, further tarnish their respectable name. Rostyn was far from respectable these days and he took pleasure in the discomfort that it caused his family.

The scent of food was washed away by the pungent odor of fresh herbs used for healing or treating ailments. He was walking down a lane that was bordered by shops and stalls selling such plants that an apothecary would find useful. While he knew a little of healing - it was necessary in his trade in the event that he was injured on the job - he didn't know enough to be able to keep up with the sellers here. He had just begun to pick up the pace to get closer to his goal when movement near one of the shops caught his eye.

A small stall was selling an assortment of fine-looking herbs and someone was looking over them carefully while conversing with the owner. A small scamp of a fox, probably barely an adult by the looks of it, was approaching slowly, attempting to look as if they fit in with the crowd. Rostyn frowned as the fox reached towards a purse held by the shopper. Why me? he thought to himself with a roll of his eyes. Of course he would be the one to see this. Now he felt the need to do something about the situation, even though he was no longer a guard. Old habits died hard, he supposed.

Just as the fox placed a paw on the purse Rostyn stepped up to him, placing his own paw on the Fox's arm. With a look of warning in his eyes and the slightest show of teeth, Rostyn dared the fox to try him. If he gave up now he would let the creature run rather than turning him in to the nearest guard. The fox seemed to take the hint and let go of the purse, but in his hast snagged a claw and gave it a noticeable tug, alerting the shopper to the situation behind them.

I figure you can either have her be the shopper or have her witness everything. Totally up to you!

Civilian

I have nothing to say.

Rio Marino Avatar

Rio Marino

Post by Rio Marino on Jan 5, 2021 0:26:49 GMT -5

The streets were rather crowded around lunchtime, when all animals, including those who made a living for their families, were out on the streets searching for the best lunch of the day. There was a steady murmur of voices around her as she stood at Eithne's herb cart, collecting some herbs for her journey to Lower Collinwood. Parked beside the stall was her hand cart, full of supplies for the eldery, the sick, and the poor. The herbs were the final touch, so that she could make medicines and poultices for those in need.

Rio tended to get rather absorbed in her herbology work and Eithne often talked to her so much she either got lost in conversation or lost in thought, but either way she was not paying attention to what was going on around her. So, she definitely didn't see the sly fox looking to make her his next pickpocketing target, and she certainly didn't see the wolf's quick-thinking. There was a tug on her bag that pulled Rio's mind away from herbs and made her turn around, to find a fleeting fox, working his way through the crowd and a wolf standing too close to her for comfort. Rio brandished a dagger made of bone and growled. "Move along, please."

it seemed the most natural to blame xD
Last Edit: Jan 5, 2021 0:46:34 GMT -5 by Evil

Civilian

I have nothing to say.

Rostyn Hart Avatar

Rostyn Hart

Post by Rostyn Hart on Jan 6, 2021 0:20:18 GMT -5

Rostyn's eyes followed the fox for a moment, threatening to burn a hole into his back if he didn't keep moving. He was sure that the thief would be back at his work sooner or later, but perhaps he would be wiser and not get caught in the act after his close call just now. By the time his eyes flicked back to the other wolf she had turned to see what the commotion was all about.

Before he had time to utter a word a dagger appeared in her hand. She pointed it at him, making it quite clear that she wasn't someone to mess with. It seemed that she had mistaken him for the would-be thief. Rather than flinching away from the dagger as many might have, Rostyn held his ground, a smile appearing across his jaws.

"Now is that any way to thank a fellow for chasing off a pickpocket?" he asked, one arm motioning slightly towards the direction the fleeing fox had taken. Still, he took a step backwards, giving the girl her space so she would feel a little less threatened.

Last Edit: Jan 6, 2021 0:20:59 GMT -5 by Rostyn Hart

Civilian

I have nothing to say.

Rio Marino Avatar

Rio Marino

Post by Rio Marino on Jan 25, 2021 9:39:55 GMT -5

"A pickpocket would say that," Rio responded, blinking. She hadn't advanced toward him, but she hadn't put the dagger away either. Though, it was reckless of her because there were so many bodies hovering around the streets, the cart... someone could accidentally walk into the pointy end. Blue eyes scanned the immediate area, ensuring no one was walking toward them.

Eithne, a silver fox and a friend of Rio's, took interest and began peering over his stall. "Va tutto bene, Rio?" he asked in Italian. Rio didn't immediately answer him. Her eyes were on the wolf.

After about 10 seconds or so, she broke eye contact with the one she believed was up to foul play, and looked over her shoulder at Eithne. "Yes, it's alright." She sheathed the dagger and grabbed the satchel of herbs Eithne prepared for her, and moved to pack it into her cart. As she passed the wolf, she eyed him with a dangerous look that said don't try anything.

As she stood near her cart and prepared the last of her things, however, she seemed to more or less forget about him. She took up the handles of her cart and began weaving through the crowd to begin her journey.

Civilian

I have nothing to say.

Rostyn Hart Avatar

Rostyn Hart

Post by Rostyn Hart on Jan 26, 2021 4:24:36 GMT -5

Rostyn is so go with the flow that he won't push himself on anyone.

Rostyn had to smile, his eyes twinkling in silent laughter. He, a pickpocket? That was absolutely preposterous. Of course, he could be a bit...shady when he needed to be, since he often served as a mercenary, but he made enough from his escapes that he didn't exactly need to go around risking his neck to take from others. He did enough of that at his job, thank you very much. If she had been someone he knew then he might have been offended, but she could be forgiven for her ignorance. She was a pretty wolf, anyways, and he couldn't do wrong by a pretty lady.

"Do I look like I need to pick pockets?" he asked with the slightest of gestures to his simple clothing. It was undecorated for sure, but a closer look would tell the observer that it was well made and worth more than what many of the animals in the city could afford these days. The leather belt, particularly, was very well made, even though it was quite simple. He wondered briefly if she had spotted the nearly invisible outline of a dagger strapped beneath his shirt, wondering at the same time if she was any good with the dagger that she had brandished at him.

Rostyn's ears flicked, picking up a foreign voice - one he did not recognize or understand. A silver fox had peeked over a stall and addressed the black wolf, his eyes questioning in a foreign language. He was the disgrace of the family, knowing very little in language outside of the common tongue in Collinwood. One of the many reasons his parents loathed him.

Clearly the lady understood, replying in perfectly understandable words that it was alright. Rostyn paid the fox no mind, his eyes on the wolf, who seemed to decide that he was no threat at the moment, though she still eyed him carefully. It seemed she was to be on her way, so Rostyn shrugged his shoulders with a sigh. "Oh how I do love being falsely accused. I'd best be on my way. Do watch out for a little red fox pup, love. He was after your purse."

With a bow of his head he took several steps backwards and melted into the crowd, reappearing across the way just a few stalls down, looking at a lovely, hand-crafted dagger that caught his eye. He'd forgotten his hunger for the moment, the excitement of the last few minutes calming his stomach. In the corner of his eye he saw the lady wolf begin her journey through the same crowd, and he followed her movements carefully.

A little ways ahead of her a flash of red darted among the shoppers. A red fox stopped beside another animal at another stall and began to reach for their purse.