The Fall of Man RP

[open] We are such stuff as dreams are made on

I have nothing to say.

Deleted Avatar

Deleted
Deleted

Post by Deleted on Nov 30, 2020 16:28:02 GMT -5

Early morning sunlight filtered through the thin cloth that covered all possible entrances into the library. A soft breeze rustled the coverings revealing, for just a moment, the interior of the building and its sole resident at work. The day had just begun, but the Snowy was already busy with the library's maintenance. A stack of books rested upon a worm-out desk in the center of the room waiting to be returned to their proper location on the crowded shelves. The snow-colored librarian flew quickly and efficiently from table to shelf, placing each in its proper place without nary a look at the book itself. The owl had long memorized the contents of her library. Having taken care of each book so meticulously and for so long, she could almost tell from simply touching them which one it was.

The building was always open to any would-be visitors as long as Agris was in residence. Any and all knowledge seekers were welcome in her abode. It occasionally meant little sleep when nocturnal visitors were plenty, but the Snowy spent little time asleep to begin with, always busy as she was with this and that. All were welcome to stay as long as they desired. But should any attempt to leave with any of the library's books, they were never welcome to return. Agris was trusted few to care for the books as well as she did nor did she trust them to return with it should they borrow one. Until a patron earned her trust, they would not be able to leave with any of the books in her care.

Placing the last of the books back in its place, she made to survey her work, flying back to the desk. Agris settled behind it and looked over her handiwork. The shelves had been neatly organized. Each valued book in its proper place. There was a fine air of cleanliness to it all. Satisficed that nothing was remiss, the Snowy owl opened a book placed in a corner of the desk and began reading. it was a fine day for it.

Dated April 10th, 2755 around 7AM. Set in Agris' library. Take it wherever you want ( ̄∇ ̄) If you want to get information from Agris, your character has to ask for a "silver of moonlight". Its code to let Agris know that the character is looking for information and is not just there to read.

Civilian

I have nothing to say.

Sebastien Stone Avatar

Sebastien Stone

Post by Sebastien Stone on Jan 24, 2021 15:58:22 GMT -5

Sebastien wasn’t certain why he paused by the library’s entrance, it occurred to him that it was somewhere he hadn’t explored yet. Whilst he was an educated animal, he had struggled nonetheless with literacy. Whilst he didn’t think of himself as being unintelligent, his line of work simply demanded a more hands-on approach. The dog slouched as memories of his tutors washed over him and considered turning away. 

The scent of its occupant drifted to his nose; Cool, crisp and airy. An avian always carried with them the freshness of air, as if to remind their grounded kin of what they lacked. Sebastien twitched his whiskers as he mentally searched for an excuse to enter and talk to the creature within. The male admired the winged folk for their freedom and agility, wondering what it would be like to leave the earth far below. 

There was nothing for it then. Sebastien pushed aside the cloth that covered the space. His breath left him as he gazed about him, in awe of the library that had been tended to as carefully as a garden. With the cloth surrounding him and filtered in the pale sunlight, he was reminded momentarily of a sanctuary. Perhaps he should pray? 

His eyes settled on a pale figure perched in a corner reading. Sebastien’s brow rose as he attempted to make out the form of the creature - with her pale plumage she resembled a ghost. He shifted uneasily and canted his head to the side to catch her eyes. Spirits might be real, or they might not be, but it wouldn’t hurt to try to communicate with them. “E-excuse me, are you a ghost?” 

OOC: I hope you don't mind me joining :)
Last Edit: Jan 24, 2021 16:00:15 GMT -5 by Sebastien Stone

I have nothing to say.

Deleted Avatar

Deleted
Deleted

Post by Deleted on Jan 26, 2021 16:48:16 GMT -5

The book Agris was reading was not one that would typically be considered entertainment literature. In fact, none of the books so surreptitiously placed the desk were. Silent Spring. A Brief History of Time. Among them, a choice number of similar books by animal authors as well. Clutched in her own talons was On the Origin of Species. Each of them had already been read before by the Snowy. They were books the librarian liked to revisit whenever she learned something new and occasionally, just for the joy of it. This time was one such time. Likely the reason her usually unbreakable concentration was broken.

Telkuo glanced up from her pages at the distraction, quietly marking her place with a stray bit of cloth. She eyed the early-morning visitor to her silent library. A canine that she had never seen before. A raptor's face was not an expressive one, even more so for Agris as she peered at the guest. Her features gave nothing away of her thoughts. From the looks of it, they did not appear to be a noble. Though nobles did frequent the place, it was usually for her other services and if they did, it wasn't typically during the daytime and not often without a disguise. Whatever this customer was here for, it was likely for the library itself rather than its caretaker.

She had been called a great many things in her long life. Ghost had been one of many. She supposed she did give off that feeling given the particular look of a Snowy Owl and her own mannerisms. Setting down Darwin, she turned her full attention to the newcomer. Her voice was calm, matter-of-fact, as she spoke. Some had told her in the past that it was soothing for its steadiness though Agris had no notion as to why that might be. "There are no such spirits in this establishment." Though a scholar, Telkuo did not lean one or another in her consideration of whether or not ghosts existed. It was simply, for her, another of life's mysteries, something that could neither be proven or disproven. Her choice of words mirrored that ideal. "I assure you I am very much alive." The owl was well-aware that more than half her time had already passed. Though their lives were much longer than they had been, animals still only lived to about fifty years old on average. At thirty-four, much of her time had already been spent.

The black-speckled librarian steepled her wings. Her amber gaze analyzing the hound before her. Their movements, mannerisms, way of speaking, all cluing her in to different aspects of the animal before her. Gathering information was her specialty. It was something she never stopped doing. Had she not become a librarian, she might have become a detective. Any strangers she met came under this scrutiny.

"What brings you here for? I assume you did not come to a library simply to look for ghosts."

Not at all :)

Civilian

I have nothing to say.

Sebastien Stone Avatar

Sebastien Stone

Post by Sebastien Stone on Feb 1, 2021 13:52:53 GMT -5

Large golden eyes fixed themselves on Sebastien as the librarian noticed him. Pinned beneath their intense glare, he could empathise with a prey animal. His pulse quickened as the impulse to run and hide washed through his body. The owl’s inscrutable face didn’t soothe his fears either. Had he actually encountered a spirit? Sebastien shifted as the silence lengthened. He relaxed at the sound of her voice, with its smooth tone and precise pronunciation as she confirmed the absence of ghosts in her establishment. “That’s a relief!” he brightened and added, “I am so sorry for calling you a ‘ghost’ - that was rude of me and a little dumb.”

He dropped his eyes as the woman scrutinised him again, tilting his head in an effort to read the spines. One of the names was familiar from his schooling, but the others were less so. “‘The Origin of the Species’. I remember my tutors going over it.” Sebastien mumbled, tapping his chin in a way he hoped would make him feel more intelligent. Not that I can remember much of it. There would be no harm in refreshing his memory with this potential new friend of course. The dog brightened at the thought and relaxed, releasing the tension that had gathered earlier in a exhale.

Prompted by the woman’s questioning, the male answered simply; His ears rose forward as an idea occurred to him. “Speaking of ghosts, I don’t suppose you know of any good stories? My name is Sebastien, by the way.”

@agris

Last Edit: Feb 1, 2021 13:54:41 GMT -5 by Sebastien Stone